Application Deadline for Unpartnered SMEs: April 18, 2019, 4pm EST
Full Application Deadline: May 17, 2019, 4pm EST
Funding Amount: Up to $12,000 per selected research project (no funding to industry partners).
Project Length: 2 to 4 months
Use of Funds: To execute industry-driven research projects in Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning. The funds can be used toward student stipends. Travel, living expenses and seminar costs are ineligible.
- The industry partner must be a Canadian SME with up to 500 employees, capable of exploiting the results of the research.
- The industry partner must be in business for a minimum of one year and have an assigned NRC IRAP industrial technology advisor (ITA)..
- The research project must be jointly supervised by the faculty member and the industry partner, with the work being performed by Masters, PhD or PostDoc.
- All background intellectual property belongs to the inventor/owner. As required by NRC IRAP, all intellectual property developed under this project belongs to the industry partner.
For these programs, we anticipate the impact for the company will be a combination of the following, depending on the individual project:
- Proof of Concept or working prototype
- Recommended Machine Learning models and algorithms
- Assessment of company’s existing data set and recommended data strategy
The goal is to have projects funded under this program evolve into larger long-term research partnerships.